Brief Intro: “Helios:Femina” is a comic by renown makeup artist and online creator Michelle Phan. This fantasy tale follows Rhea in a post-apocalyptic, alternate universe Earth as she uncovers secrets about her identity & magic powers.
- the interactive, ambient Webtoon experience was enjoyable, new for me, & very interesting
- lots of “Sailor Moon” nostalgia
- some likeable characters (I LUUUVVVV BEBO!! And Red!!)
- almost identical to “Sailor Moon”
- lack of world-building
- all-around inconsistent, & even incoherent at times
- weak, predictable plot
- I’m really sick & tired of girl heroes in tight/sexual clothing
- makes smoking, drugs, alcohol look cool
- both too mature & too childish at the same time
- messy, imbalanced tone
“Helios:Femina” is an amateur comic which can’t decide who its audience is, suffers from all-around story weaknesses, and is too similar to “Sailor Moon”. However, older adolescents looking for a quick, light read might find it entertaining.
- I’d read a second season, that is, if there ever is one: Next to no info exists about it online. The creators could use a good PR team. Sure, it’s a free comic, but free shouldn’t mean apathetic or disconnected, not if you actually care about your work & its fans. Judging by the lack of social interaction & info-sharing by the creators, it seems like they’re not invested in their audience.
- Some people are absolutely ridiculous with the kind of comments they leave for Phan. They reek of jealousy & ignorance. If you have criticism, there’s a way to put it gracefully. What you say is important, but HOW you say it is equally as important. People get so nasty & inconsiderate when they can hide behind a screen. Grow the hell up.
- Alchemy is apparently normal in the story’s alternate Earth, though it’s never mentioned until pretty late into the story, & it’s never explained.
- Rhea’s magical powers remain mysterious and poorly explained, as well as her magical singing.
- I love Bebo and Red.
- Am I the only one who liked Terra better as Arret?
- The gender switch thing during Rhea’s training was… odd. I don’t think it had the intended effect. In fact, it was almost sexist.
- The violet-pink colour palette is so pretty.
I’m interested in knowing what others think of “Helios:Femina”, so feel free to leave a comment.